Punta Cana is a direct three-hour flight from several major cities around the world and with almost 4 million international arrivals each year, Punta Cana International Airport is the second most popular airport in the Caribbean.
Although Punta Cana International Airport (PUJ) is the biggest airport in the country it is not the only airport. About 30 minutes from the capital Santo Domingo is another big airport called Aeropuerto Internacional de las Américas (SDQ)
Naturally for people arriving to Punta Cana PUJ is the most convenient since it is only 10 to 30 minutes away from most resorts in the area.
Other less significant and often just domestic airports are:
- Cibao International Airport (STI) also known as Santiago International Airport is the country’s third busiest airport
- La Isabela International Airport (serves Santo Domingo)
- La Romana International Airport (now only 45 minutes from Punta Cana hotels)
- El Catey International Airport (serves Samana)
- Gregorio Luperon International Airport (serves Puerto Plata)
The second best airport for Punta Cana is the La Romana Airport, which is about 45-minutes drive from the major Punta Cana hotels.
The Las Americas International (Santo Domingo) is approximately a 2-hour drive away from the Punta Cana major hotels. The cheapest and best way to get to and from Santo Domingo is by the commuter express bus. This will cost about US$8.
These are approximate flight times between Dominican Republic (Punta Cana) and some popular destinations around the world